Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Veteran's Charity Drive Followup!

A follow up to the previous post. It's release day for "This Mortal Coil. After the Machines" and it's a new series that's been available as a pre-order since August 15. I've been working to spread the word about it for the past week. Normally, I'd be heads down writing, which is what I'm going to go back to after this.



Looks like I had a few additional sales in each of the markets I can get sales data from quickly. Getting sales data from the other markets will take time, for some up to 90 days.

In honor of this event, I'll be donating $200 to each of the veterans-related charities I normally work with. This is on top of what I normally donate annually.

My donations are normally anonymous, but for this event I will donate in my name, as I've done here:



I personally spent most of Monday and Tuesday promoting the event, the authors and books involved, not for my sales but for the opportunity to give back and to help others.

Over all, the Veteran's Day charity drive went well. More than 40 authors participated and raised money for veterans-related charities. Although we didn't reach our goal of $10,000, it looks like we raised about $5000 in total. A pretty great day!

You can read about the participating authors at the Read Indies blog.

Back in the day, I remember spending all day on Veteran's Day marching on parade or slinging burgers in this or that fundraiser. Sometimes there'd be 6, 8 or 10 of us out there all day slinging burgers. By the end of the day, we were sweaty and tired, but we felt good. We'd done something. We'd given back, even if only in a small way.

Thanks for reading,

Robert Stanek




No comments:

Post a Comment